My mom has been making these for as long as I can remember. They’re a cinch to make, delicious, and a great way to use up excess lemons (I just picked up several pounds from a friend’s tree to make marmalade… recipe for that coming soon!). These lemon bars are great to bring to tea or potlucks. They’re decadent without being too heavy, sweet without being overly sweet. In a word: perfect.
2 ¼ cups flour, divided
½ cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together 2 cups flour and ½ cup powdered sugar. Cut in cold butter using a pastry cutter until dough starts to clump together. Don’t overmix!
- Pat dough into a 9″x13″ pan and prick the top with a fork. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Beat together granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice. Sift together ¼ cup flour and baking powder and add it to the egg/lemon/sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over the top of the baked crust. Bake again at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan. Sift powdered sugar over the top and cut into squares.